|In and Around, Boston Massachusetts
|What's around Beantown ?
|Countdown to Christmas Day 2014
|Three packages of Red Corned Beef.
(Corned beef comes in different cuts and
colors. This picture is of red color flat
|1. Lobsters are not red until cooked. The natural color of the lobster (as seen in the above photo) is a natural
camouflage that allows them to blend into their habitat.
2. Lobsters have two different kinds of large claws. If you look you will see that they have one crusher type
claw and one seizer type claw.
3. Lobster claws make up 5-10% of body weight when small but that ratio will increase until when mature the
claws can easily make up to 50% of the body weight.
4. Lobsters don’t have vocal cords. When cooked they do not scream or vocalize. Sounds that may be heard
could be of air escaping from the lobster’s body as it expands from heating.
5. After being harvested Lobsters should NOT be placed into fresh water or have fresh water ice placed on
them. Fresh water will kill live lobsters so do not use fresh water.
6. Lobster catch and eat mainly fresh food (except for bait) which includes fish, crabs, clams, mussels, sea
urchins, and sometimes even other lobsters! Lobster’s are carnivorous and will fight and eat another lobster if
given the chance. Younger, smaller lobsters will often become a meal for an adult lobster.